Calpis (Calpico): Health Benefits and Easy Recipes
Calpis is a popular lactic acid bacteria beverage produced and sold by the Japanese company, Calpis Co., Ltd. It is a sterilized milk-based soft drink first introduced in 1919.
The lactic acid bacteria beverage, Calpis comes in various forms including soda drinks and is sold in English-speaking countries under the brand name Calpico.
This is mainly because native English speakers may associate the product name of Calpis with “cow piss”.
The microorganisms contained in Calpis consist of lactic acid bacteria and yeast fungus, and the so-called “Calpis Bacteria” is said to be a symbiont of them, though the maker has not announced in detail what Calpis Bacteria is.
Many people consider Calpis or Calpico a healthy beverage. In fact, said to be beneficial to human health, the sterilized milk-based soft drink has various health benefits listed below.
- The lactic acid bacteria contained in Calpis, Lactobacillus Helveticus helps your body relieve stress and fatigue, which results in giving you a good sleep.
- Lactobacillus Helveticus also helps lower the blood pressure
- Lactobacillus Helveticus also improves the moisture retention of the skin and reduces melanin production.
- Calpis L92 lactic acid bacteria boost the immune system and improve immunity against cold and flu
- Calpis L92 lactic acid bacteria improve atopic symptoms
Recipes using Calpis Calpico Concentrate
|Calpico Concentrated Soft Drink|
When making a glass of Calpis, the Calpis Calpico Concentrated Soft Drink is usually watered down according to how much you want it to be diluted.
Other than this, as you know, the Calpis Concentrate can be used in various ways, and lastly here, let me introduce 3 easy recipes using the liquid from the official website of Calpis.
To make Calpis Soda, the maker recommends using a 1:4 ratio of Calpis Concentrate to carbonated water. Prepare the soda drink and if desired add in bite-size fruits you like.
To make Calpis Latte, the maker recommends using a 1:5 ratio of Calpis Concentrate to milk.
Calpis Concentrate works especially well with plain yogurt. Add your favorite fruits and granola to a shallow bowl of plain yogurt and dress the yogurt with the Calpis Calpico Concentrated Soft Drink.