How to Make Dried Natto Snack using Microwave Oven

“Natto (納豆)” is a well-recognized Japanese superfood packed with nutrients. But despite that, many people can’t eat the fermented soybeans mainly because of their stringy, slimy consistency.

Natto Fermented Soybeans

For those people, there is a recommended way to eat Natto beans. Actually, in Japan, Natto is also available in a dried snack form and the traditional soy snack is called “Hoshi Natto (干し納豆)“.

In recent years, the Japanese soy snack can also be bought online outside of Japan, so you might have already tried it.

Dried Natto Snack Recipe using Microwave Oven

Even if not, and if you can get regular fresh Natto beans around where you live, you can easily make the dried Natto snack using a microwave oven.

Since today I actually made the soy snack following the directions of this recipe from Rakuten, for people who are interested, I will share the making process with photos.

By the way, according to this Japanese site, Nattokinaze contained in Natto beans, which is effective in preventing thrombus formation, is weak to heat.

Therefore when you cook Natto beans with a microwave oven, you couldn’t expect health benefits from Nattokinase. However, even in that case, you can take other nutrients.

As you can see in the video, the dried Natto snack I introduce today is pleasantly crispy and very savory.

So even if you don’t like ordinary sticky Natto beans, you will definitely like the Natto snack. What is more, it will also be a nice treat for your children.

(Note that cooking fresh Natto beans with the microwave oven results in generating a strong odor characteristic of Natto)

Instructions

1 Pour the soy sauce that comes with the Natto pack into the pack
2 Stir the Natto beans lightly with chopsticks
3 Transfer the beans to a large plate and separate each bean
4 Microwave the Natto beans at 500 Watts for 4 minutes
5 Take the cooked beans out from the microwave oven and stir lightly
6 Microwave the Natto beans again at 500 Watts for 1 minute or 2
7 Dried Natto Beans Enjoy the Natto snack!

Tomo

Hi, I'm Tomo, a Japanese blogger living in Niigata Prefecture, Japan. For the purpose of enriching your life, I would like to introduce things about Japan on this blog, especially unique Japanese products, cooking recipes, cultures, and facts and trivia.

8 Responses

1. Casssandra says:

Hi Tomo, this is a great idea and would love to try this. I’m in Canada and make my own natto at home. Microwave ovens vary a lot in their power. How many Watts is your microwave oven? Thanks for sharing on your blog, Cassandra

• Tomo says:

Thank you for commenting, Cassandra-san!
      The maximum output of my microwave oven is 1000 watts and I heated the natto beans at 500 watts both times!

2. Cassandra says:

Thanks Tomo. Now I see you mentioned you used 500 watts in your blog. Have you tried adding some potato flour on the outside like commercial hoshi natto?

3. Yana says:

Hi, Tomo. Thank you for sharing this receipt. Me and my hubby, we are very inspired of healthy benefits of natto and cook it at home for last 3 months.))) We,bcs that was his idea. So interesting to try dry natto. But we have normal oven, do you have information about temperature and time? Thank you

• Tomo says:

Hi Yana,
      Thank you for commenting. Yes, Natto is a superfood that Japan can boast🙂
      According to this recipe on cookpad.com, you can make the natto snack using normal oven by
      1. Without preheating, bake the beans at 120 to 130℃ (248 to 266°F) for about 40 minutes,
      2. Then, turn over the beans and bake them again at 100 to 110℃ (212 to 230°F) for about 20 minutes,
      3. Lastly, let the beans naturally dry for 3 to 4 days at the window.
      Hope this helps.

4. Cassandra says:

Hi Tomo, I finally tried drying some natto in the microwave. I make my own using organic non-GMO soybeans that are larger than most of the commercial small-bean natto. It took longer to dry them but it worked well! After the first 4 minutes, I reduced the power level to 330W to make sure the outside didn’t harden too quickly and trap moisture inside. I had trouble separating the natto at the beginning (my homemade beans might be wetter too), so spread them in one layer, and after the first 4 minutes in the microwave, was able to easily separate them by hand. They were no longer sticky, but still pliable, and came apart easily. Thanks for the recipe. Next time, going to try some different spice variations!

• Tomo says:

Hi Cassandra,
      I’m glad to hear the method worked well!
      It would be fun to try the natto snack with
      some spice seasoning like Shichimi Togarashi🙂
      Thank you for letting me know the result!