Easy & Healthy Recipes that Make Natto Taste Good
I sometimes have the fermented soybeans “Natto (納豆)” as an accompaniment for a hot bowl of rice at breakfast.
As for the eating manner, we usually add the accompanying soy sauce and yellow mustard to the beans first, mix well and eat the seasoned Natto often with plain white rice.
In addition to the food combo of Natto and rice, the fermented soybeans Natto are sometimes used as the main ingredient in Miso soup, and the Miso soup with Natto is called “Natto Jiru (納豆汁)” in Japanese.
Health Benefits of Natto Fermented Soybeans
As you may know, since Natto is characterized by its slimy consistency and peculiar smell, the beans are either loved or hated. I like Natto, but there are many Japanese who can’t eat it.
Even though many people don’t like Natto, it is actually a superfood packed with nutrients such as minerals, vitamins, dietary fibers, and protein, and from the everyday intake of Natto, you can expect health benefits as follows.
- Those who often eat Natto can lower the risk of cerebral apoplexy by about 30 percents
- Natto helps prevent arteriosclerosis
- Natto inhibits the increase of glucose level in the blood and helps prevent diabetes and dementia
- Natto makes bones strong
- Natto is effective in preventing cancer
- Natto adjusts the intestinal environment
- Natto is effective in preventing O157 infection
- Eating Natto every day helps you live a long life
(Reference Page: Gendai Ismedia)
How to Make Natto Taste Good
As you can see from the above, Natto has lots of health benefits, so why not try eating it? For people who don’t like the taste of Natto very much but want to enjoy it, lastly, let me introduce 2 easy healthy recipes that make Natto taste good.
Yuzu Miso Natto
|Yuzu Miso||1 – 1.5 teaspoon|
|Ground sesame seeds||As much as you like|
- Put the Yuzu Miso on Natto, instead of soy sauce
- Add ground sesame seeds as much as you like
- Mix all the ingredients well and enjoy the Yuzu Miso Natto with plain white rice!
|Kimchi (Korean pickles)||As much as you like|
|Katsuobushi (bonito flakes)||A proper amount|
|Chopped green onions||A proper amount|
|Steamed plain rice||A bowl|
- Put all the ingredients except rice in a small bowl and mix well
- Enjoy the Kimchi Natto putting on top of steamed plain rice!