The Easy Senbei Rice Cracker Recipe using Microwave Oven
Senbei (せんべい) is a traditional Japanese cracker made from non-glutinous rice, the staple food of the Japanese. Since it is one of the most common afternoon snacks in Japan, if you have a chance to shop at Japanese supermarkets, you will see a wide variety of Senbei rice crackers lined up on the shelve in the snack section.
Traditional Senbei rice crackers are made by baking the rice made into a round shape after non-glutinous rice is pressed and crushed.
As an example of how to make the rice cracker, a Japanese Senbei artisan makes them in the above movie. This is a traditional producing method of Senbei.
You may think that you can’t make Senbei at home since the traditional method looks like it needs skills, but if you just have leftover cooked rice in your home, you can easily make the Japanese rice snack with a microwave oven.
How to Make Senbei Rice Cracker Using a Microwave Oven
Image : cookpad.com
Hence, today let me introduce a very easy Senbei rice cracker recipe using a microwave oven. According to a Japanese TV program that introduced how to make Senbei with a microwave oven, the basic method is as follows.
- Sprinkle a proper amount of salt over leftover steamed rice and mix it up. It is also good to put soy sauce or this kind of Furikake rice seasoning (Amazon.com), instead of salt
- Place the seasoned rice on paper and cover it with another paper
- Press and crush the rice with hands, then flatten it out as thinly as possible with a rolling pin
- Uncover the upper paper and microwave the flattened rice at 500w for 5 minutes
- Let it cool down, then break it into easy-to-eat sizes
- Enjoy the Senbei rice crackers!