The Easy Senbei Rice Cracker Recipe using Microwave Oven
Senbei (せんべい) is a traditional Japanese rice cracker.Since the food is one of the most common snacks in Japan, if you have a chance to shop at Japanese supermarkets, you will see a wide variety of Senbei snacks displayed on the shelves in the snack section.Senbei rice crackers are generally made by baking the non-glutinous rice stretched after pressed and crushed.
As an example of how to make Senbei rice crackers, a Japanese Senbei craftsman makes them as the above movie shows.This is a traditional method for producing Senbei.
You may think that you can’t make Senbei at home since the traditional method looks like it needs skills, but if you have leftover cooked or plain rice in your home, you can easily make the Japanese rice snack with a microwave oven.
The Easy Senbei Rice Cracker Recipe Using a Microwave Oven
Image : cookpad.com
Therefore today I want to introduce an very easy Senbei rice cracker recipe using a microwave oven.According to a Japanese TV program that introduced how to make Senbei with a microwave oven, the basic way is as follows.
- Sprinkle a proper amount of salt over leftover steamed rice and mix well.(Instead of salt, it is also good to put soy sauce or this Furikake rice seasoning (Amazon.com)
- Place the seasoned rice on paper and cover it with another one, then press and crush the rice with hands and flatten it out as thinly as possible with a rolling pin
- Uncover the upper paper and microwave the flattened rice at 500w for 5 minutes
- Let it cool down and break it into easy-to-eat sizes
- Enjoy Senbei rice crackers !