Zunda Mochi: Sendai’s Sweet Rice Cake with Green Beans
Several days ago, I wrote an article about the type of Dango rice dumplings, where I introduced “Zunda Dango (ずんだ団子)” as a common Japanese rice dumpling.
As mentioned in the article, “Zunda (ずんだ)” is a green bean paste typically made by mashing green soybeans or “Edamame (枝豆)”, but additionally, peas and kidney beans can also be the main ingredient.
The mashed green soybeans are usually sweetened with sugar and commonly used for Dango rice dumplings and Mochi rice cakes to cover.
Zunda Mochi (ずんだ餅)
The Mochi rice cake covered with sweet Zunda green bean paste is called “Zunda Mochi (ずんだ餅)” and is famous as a regional specialty of Miyagi Prefecture, especially the city of Sendai.
As mentioned above, Japanese home cooks usually use green soybeans “Edamame” to make a Zunda paste, so for those of you who are interested in this local specialty Mochi confection of Sendai, today I will introduce 2 quick and easy Zunda Mochi recipes using green soybeans.
(Note that cooked Mochi rice cake is very sticky and stretchy, so when eating, please be cautious not to choke on it.)
Simple and Easy Zunda Mochi Recipe
The first recipe I introduce here is really simple and easy like this: Chop up green soybeans with sugar into small pieces, then put the Edamame bits on steamed Mochi rice cakes. Just with the 2 steps, you can easily prepare the sweet Zunda Mochi.
Easy but Authentic Sendai Zunda Mochi Recipe
Image and Source of recipe: Rakuten Recipe
If you want to try more authentic Zunda Mochi recipes, the following from Rakuten Recipe is recommended for you.
|Green soybeans (Edamame)||200g|
- Boil Edamame green soybeans in a pot of water until tender
- Remove beans from the shells and peel them
- Mash the peeled soybeans in a mortar halfway and add sugar and salt
- Continue mashing the beans, mixing with the sugar and salt, until nearly smooth
- Wet both sides of uncooked Mochi with water
- Place the Mochi rice cakes on a plate and loosely wrap in a plastic wrap
- Microwave the Mochi for several ten seconds until soft
- Cover the soft heated Mochi rice cakes with the prepared Zunda green bean paste
- Ready to eat and Enjoy!