2 Easy Zunda Mochi Rice Cake Recipes
Several days ago, I wrote an article about the type of Dango rice dumplings, where I introduced “Zunda Dango (ずんだ団子)” as a common Japanese rice dumpling.
As mentioned in the article, “Zunda (ずんだ)” is a green paste made by mashing green soybeans or broad beans, and additionally, peas and kidney beans can also be the main ingredient.
The green bean paste is usually sweetened with sugar and commonly used for both Dango rice dumplings and Mochi rice cakes in Japan.
Zunda Mochi (ずんだ餅)
The Mochi rice cake (Amazon.com) covered with a sweet Zunda green bean paste is called “Zunda Mochi (ずんだ餅)”, which is famous as a local specialty of Miyagi Prefecture, especially the city of Sendai in Miyagi.
2 Easy Zunda Mochi Recipes using Edamame
Japanese home cooks usually prepare the green soybeans “Edamame (Amazon.com)” to make a Zunda paste, so today I will introduce 2 quick and easy Zunda Mochi recipes using Edamame green soybeans.
(Note that Mochi rice cake is very sticky and chewy, so please be cautious not to choke on it.)
Simple and Easy Zunda Mochi Recipe
Image : cookpad.com
The first recipe is really simple and easy: Chop up Edamame green soybeans with sugar into small pieces first, then put the Edamame bits on steamed Mochi rice cakes. Just with the 2 steps, you can easily make the sweet Zunda Mochi.
Easy but Authentic Sendai Zunda Mochi Recipe
Image and Source of recipe : Rakuten Recipe
If you want to try more authentic Zunda Mochi recipes, the following from Rakuten Recipe is recommended.
|Green soybeans (Edamame)||200g|
|Salt||A little amount|
|Mochi rice cake (Amazon.com)||4 cakes|
- Boil Edamame green soybeans in a pot of water until soft
- Take beans out of the shell and remove their thin skin too
- Mash the beans in a mortar halfway, then add sugar and salt
- Mash the beans again well, mixing with sugar and salt, until granular
- Wet both sides of Mochi rice cakes with water
- Place the wet Mochi rice cakes on a plate and wrap them in cellophane loosely
- Microwave the Mochi for several ten seconds until soft
- Cover the Mochi rice cakes with the green soybean paste
- Enjoy the Zunda Mochi rice cakes !