Shio Uni : How to make the Aomori’s salted sea urchin roe paste
“Uni (雲丹)”, or raw sea urchin roe is famous as a luxurious sushi ingredient. Although Uni is an expensive food, there is a home-use inexpensive sea urchin paste that has been widely enjoyed in Japan for decades. As I wrote about it before, that is “Neri Uni (練うに)“.
The Uni paste, Neri Uni is a processed food, not raw sea urchin roe, so the processed Uni can be preserved for a relatively long period. However, at present, it is difficult to obtain the classic Japanese seafood paste outside of Japan.
Therefore, for those who are interested in sea urchin roe paste like Neri Uni, today I want to introduce how to make “Shio Uni (塩うに)”.
What is Shio Uni (塩うに)?
Shio Uni and Plain white rice
Shio Uni is the salted sea urchin paste that is commonly eaten in households of Aomori Prefecture. It is a simple paste that is made with only the 2 ingredients, raw sea urchin roe and salt, but Shio Uni is rich in flavor as compared to uncooked sea urchin and can be preserved for a longer period, about 1 week in the refrigerator.
Easy Shio Uni Paste Recipe
According to this Japanese website, the making method of Shio Uni paste is very easy. As I wrote above, all you need to prepare for this recipe are raw sea urchin roe (about 100g) and salt (2/3 tablespoon). In addition, you have to sterilize a small storage bottle or container by boiling in water and dry it prior to the cooking.
- Place raw sea urchin roe on a paper towel neatly without breaking the shape
- Sprinkle salt evenly over the food
- Cover the food with a plastic wrap and let it sit in the refrigerator for over 15 minutes to one night in order to remove the water and the smell in raw sea urchin roe. The longer you keep it in the refrigerator, the more the water with a peculiar smell comes out, so if needed, replace the paper towel with another to get rid of excessive moisture
- Remove the moisture on the surface of the salted sea urchin roe lightly with a paper towel, then put the Uni into the sterilized bottle carefully with a spoon
- The Shio Uni can be preserved in the refrigerator for about 1 week
|Sea Urchin Sauce (Unihishio : 雲丹醤)||Sea Urchin Soy Sauce (Uni Shoyu : 雲丹醤油)|