5 Ideas to Make Dorayaki Pancake More Delicious
Dorayaki (どら焼き) is a traditional Japanese confection that appears in the manga Doraemon, called yummy buns in the English version.
The sweet treat consists of two round, moist pancakes sandwiched with sweet red bean paste called Anko (餡子).
Dorayaki is one of Japan’s most-loved Wagashi sweets, commonly eaten as an afternoon snack with green tea.
Nowadays, the Wagashi is also available online outside of Japan. So you might have tried it before.
5 Tips for Making Dorayaki More Delicious
Dorayaki is yummy as it is.
But today, let me introduce tips for making the cake more delicious. These are from Japanese websites and SNS and are worth trying.
- Place a dollop of vanilla ice cream on top and dress with a chocolate sauce. This method is introduced on a popular Japanese recipe site.
- After microwaving the cake for 20 to 30 seconds, bake it in a toaster oven for a few minutes. By doing so, it becomes crispy on the outside, while the inside remains soft and moist. A Japanese blogger says that the hot Dorayaki cooked in that way tastes great.
- Anko goes well with butter, as Ogura Toast demonstrates. Thus, spread butter on the cake’s surface. By doing so, the Dorayaki can get depth from butter.
- Turn it into Nama Dorayaki by adding fresh whipped cream to the Anko filling. This method makes Dorayaki more addictive.
- Cut Dorayaki lengthwise, then coat the face with a mixture of Kinako and sugar. This method is introduced on a popular Japanese recipe site.