5 Ideas to Make Dorayaki Pancake More Delicious
Dorayaki is a traditional Japanese confection that appears in the manga Doraemon where it is called yummy buns in English. The sweet treat consists of two small, somewhat moist pancakes with sweet red bean paste “Anko (餡子)” in between.
Actually, Dorayaki is one of the most popular Wagashi sweets in Japan and is often eaten as an afternoon snack with a hot cup of green tea. In recent years, thanks to the internet, the Japanese snack is also available online outside of Japan, so you might have had it before.
5 Tips for Making Dorayaki More Delicious
Dorayaki is literally yummy as it is, but today let me introduce some tips for making the pancake Dorayaki more delicious from some Japanese websites and SNS. If you get curious about these methods, get Dorayaki and why not give them a try?
- Place vanilla ice cream on top of Dorayaki pancake and dress with a chocolate sauce. This method is introduced on a popular Japanese recipe site.
- Microwave Dorayaki for 20 to 30 seconds, then bake it in a toaster oven for a few minutes. By doing so, the pancake becomes crispy on the outside, while on the inside it remains soft and moist. A Japanese blogger says that the hot Dorayaki cooked in that way tastes great.
- Anko sweet red bean paste goes well with butter as Ogura Toast shows. Thus, spread butter on the surface of Dorayaki. By doing this, the pancake can get a depth of taste from butter.
- Nama Dorayaki proves that whipped cream matches perfectly with Anko. Therefore, sandwich the cream, together with Anko, between the two pancakes. This method makes Dorayaki more addictive.
- Cut Dorayaki cake lengthwise, then coat the face with a mixture of Kinako soybean flour and sugar. This method is introduced on a popular Japanese recipe site.