Umaibo: Top 10 Most Popular Flavors in Japan
When it comes to treats for kids, Japanese children love “Dagashi (駄菓子)”. Have you ever heard of that?
For the unfamiliar, Dagashi is the word for cheap and unique Japanese snacks and candies.
The price of Dagashi treats ranges from 10 yen (about 0.1 USD) to about 100 yen (about 1 USD).
So children can buy many varieties even with their little pocket money.
Among such snacks, “Umaibo (うまい棒)”, literally meaning “Delicious Stick”, is especially famous.
- What kind of Dagashi Snack is Umaibo?
- Umaibo Flavors Guide
- Top 10 Most Popular Flavors with Pictures
What kind of Dagashi Snack is Umaibo?
As you may already know, Umaibo is a corn puff stick with a slightly hard texture manufactured by Riska, sold by Yaokin, which comes in many unique flavors.
A stick of Umaibo is so cheap, only costs 10 yen (about 0.1 USD) in Japan, that the product is especially popular with children.
Amazingly, the price of 10 yen has never changed since the Tonkatsu Sauce flavor was first introduced in 1979.
Even now, the puffed corn snack is one of the top-selling Dagashi series and is widely loved by children and adults alike, which is why some people call it “The King of Dagashi”.
In fact, Umaibo is one of the best and tastiest Dagashi snacks. It is really yummy and satisfying for the price of 10 yen. So I have also loved it since I was small.
Umaibo Flavors Guide
According to the official website of Yaokin, as of today (12/13/2021), Umaibo is available in 15 regular flavors.
Some have a flavor of traditional Japanese food, while some others are sold only locally with flavors of regional specialties.
15 Regular Flavors
- Tonkatsu Sauce (とんかつソース: Pork Cutlet Sauce), released in July 1979.
- Salami (サラミ), released in July 1979.
- Cheese (チーズ), released in 1980.
- Teriyaki Burger (テリヤキバーガー), released in 1980.
- Corn Potage (コーンポタージュ), released in 1992.
- Yasai Salad (やさいサラダ: Vegetable Salad), released in 1980.
- Mentai (めんたい), released in 1982.
- Takoyaki (たこ焼: Octopus Balls), released in 1987.
- Ebi Mayonnaise (エビマヨネーズ: Shrimp Mayonnaise), released in 2001.
- Gyutan Shio (牛タン塩: Salted Beef Tongue), released in 2007.
- Natto (なっとう), released in 2012.
- Sugar Rusk (シュガーラスク), released in 2013.
- Yakitori (やきとり: Grilled Chicken), released in 2015.
- Nori Shio (のり塩: Seaweed and Salt), released in 2020.
- Chocolate (チョコレート), released in 1982. (summertime only)
3 Premium Flavors
In addition to the regular flavors, Umaibo has another three flavors in its Premium line. Premium Umaibo is priced at 20 yen (about 0.2 USD).
- Mozzarella Cheese & Camembert Cheese (モッツァレラチーズ&カマンベールチーズ)
- Mentaiko (明太子)
- Wafu Steak (和風ステーキ)
Top 10 Most Popular Flavors with Pictures
Based on the survey conducted in 2017, answered by 1,381 males and females between 20s to 60s, the top 10 most popular Umaibo flavors at the time are as follows.
#10: Pizza (ピザ)
Umaibo Pizza was a savory stick with a tomato and cheese flavor to it.
#9: Yasai Salad (やさいサラダ)
Umaibo Yasai Salad might be somewhat different from what you expect. It is a savory puffcorn loaded with umami from vegetables, such as potato, cabbage, and garlic.
#8: Chocolate (チョコレート)
Umaibo Chocolate is a bit smaller in size than other Umaibo sticks. This corn puff is coated in a thin layer of milk chocolate.
#7: Teriyaki Burger (テリヤキバーガー)
Umaibo Teriyaki Burger has the perfect balance between sweet and savory, accented with tomato’s fruitiness.
#6: Tonkatsu Sauce (とんかつソース)
Umaibo Tonkatsu Sauce is a savory puff tasting like a fruity Tonkatsu sauce that stimulates the appetite.
#5: Takoyaki (たこ焼)
The flavor of Umaibo Takoyaki emulates Takoyaki sauce. This corn puff is not spicy but sweet and savory.
#4: Salami (サラミ)
Umaibo Salami is very fragrant and flavorful, just like real salami.
#3: Mentai (めんたい)
Umaibo Mentai is a unique corn puff with a Mentaiko-like savoriness to it.
#2: Cheese (チーズ)
Umaibo Cheese is very fragrant and tasty, packed with the delicious flavor of the cheese.
#1: Corn Potage (コーンポタージュ)
Umaibo Corn Potage smells and tastes just like corn potage soup. This corn puff has such a good taste that it never lets snack lovers down.
This is Hossein
I would like sales wholesale umaibo snacks in Kuwait country